COTECHINO WITH LENTILS
This is the most traditional dish of all for New Year’s Eve supper. The lentils represent the coins soon to befall all who consume the dish within an hour of midnight.
1. Bring 6 cups of water to a boil and add 1 tablespoon salt.
2. Add the lentils, garlic and sage. Boil the lentils until they are tender yet still firm, about 20 minutes. Drain in a colander over the sink and place in a mixing bowl.
3. Combine the lentils with the vinegar and season with salt and pepper. set aside.
4. Prick the sausage with a pin several times. Place in a large pot of cold water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to a verylow boil and cover the pot. Cook for 1-1/2 hours.
5. Place the marinating lentils on a large serving platter to form a bed for the cotechino. Remove the cotechino from the cooking liquid and drain. Slice the cotecchino into 1/4-inch rounds and place over the lentils. Serve immediately or let the sausage come to room temperature.